Thursday, January 14, 2010

Labels

Oh how I love my Dymo Label Buddy! This has to be in my Top 5 for favorite techniques- making my own labels!
What you will need:
1) handheld label maker, I say the handheld/ "turn the dial kind" because they're the only ones I know of that emboss the paper or label tape as opposed to just printing on it
2) strips of paper cut to fit through the label maker
3) sanding tool or ink
The cardstock that I use is from Die Cuts with a View, it has as a white core or cardstock from Coordinations that has so many paper & colored core combinations- wonderful. The reason for these specific papers is that after I run the paper through the label maker the letters are embossed. When I lightly sand over the embossed letters the core color shows through creating a contrast to the background color. Getting started: I cut down my paper to fit, this one is 3/8", I then feed the paper through until it catches then I am ready to start my word. You turn the dial for each letter to spell the desired word, use the built in scissors to snip it off once finished. I then lightly sand over the embossed letters to reveal the core color- allowing me to read my word. If the paper is too light, like a soft yellow, I rub ink over the embossed letters with my ink applicator from Tim Holtz. The embossed portions pick up the ink first, not the background- allowing me to see the letters. Another great option is to purchase colored label tape, my favorite is black tape with white letters! This tape however is only available online to purchase. If someone knows where to buy the black label tape in store drop me an email- pretty please. I love this technique because it is so versatile! Any word you can think of, you can make. You will always have the perfect something for that layout or project! This particular label maker was only $5 and can be found at most office supply stores. I found mine awhile back at Staples but I saw it online yesterday at all the stores- Office Depot, Grand & Toy and Staples! You will not be sorry you picked one of these babys up! Below are a few examples of the labels I made for recent projects. Enjoy!
White Core

Too light to sand so this label is inked.

Black cardstock with an orange core.

Have a great weekend friends!
{xo} Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment